Dengue fever is a serious medical condition that needs immediate assistance. This health condition is caused by a virus that is transmitted through mosquitoes. Dengue is considered to be an acute illness that may lead to life threatening consequences. Dengue fever is basically a self-limiting disease that has a mortality rate which is less than 1%. With the help of proper medical treatment, the mortality rate remains at 2% to 5% but in case patients are left untreated the mortality rate can go up to as high as 50%.
There can be instances when parents will find it very difficult to understand whether their children have dengue or not. That is because the dengue symptoms are very similar to the symptoms of viral fever. In such a scenario, watch your children very closely to detect the symptoms or even better, get a medical test done. However, having clarity about the symptoms always helps so let us know about them.
- High Fever – A sudden high fever of 1020 to 1040 F continues and refuses to reduce in spite of taking proper medications. If such high fever persists for more than two days, a blood test must be done.
- Severe Headache – A severe nagging headache along with joint and muscle pain without any reason is a sure sign of dengue. The body pain due to dengue fever can be so severe that it can leave one feeling fatigued and drained of all energy.
- Rashes on the Skin – Small flat, red coloured rashes appear on the face or all over the body two or three days after the fever starts. These can be itchy. A case of sudden eruption should be consulted with the doctor immediately.
- Swollen Lymph Glands – The lymph glands can get swollen and infected. A sudden change in these glands can be a cause of dengue fever.
- Nausea – A sudden feeling of nausea could also be a symptom of dengue. In severe cases vomiting is also accompanied by bleeding from the nose and the mouth.
Let us all not get scared by the mortality rate statistics but stick together to fight this medical condition. Getting the best medical treatment for dengue fever is a top priority and it is easily available because of the alarming conditions of dengue that we can see around us.